Friday, January 28, 2011

It's going great!

Home school has been going great!

We're both enjoying it, the boys have been respecting the boundaries, and I feel so content.

We're using:

Science: Apologia - I'm not sure we're going to stick with it.  It seems a little over her head some times.  We may revisit it next year.

Math - Saxon Math.  So far I'm liking it.  We're jumping around a little to find out where she needs to be.  But she loves getting to do extra math!  :)

Reading - I didn't buy a specific reader series.  We're checking out lots of books from the library and she journals after we read.

History/Social Studies/Literature - a good friend pointed me towards amblesideonline.com  It is a wonderful resource, free no less!  It give you a list of books for each grade level.  And a schedule of what to read each day.  Then we discuss what we've read.

Handwriting- I picked up a workbook with daily sheets for her to do.  She really struggles with penmanship so I hope this is helping.

Phonics - I got a Language workbook from Abeka.  I had heard really good things about their curriculum from a number of sources and I had friends who used it when I was growing up.  It covers not only phonics but grammar and punctuation.

I think that's it! 

We start at 9 am and we're done by noon.  She even gets a recess in the middle with a snack.  :)