Wednesday, April 2, 2008

From the mouths of babes....

Oh dear....when can you teach your child not to say the first thing that comes to their head?

When we pulled into the parking lot of the preschool this morning, a little boy from her class was getting out of the car in front of us (diagonal parking).
Look, Hannah. There's your friend Jacob.
I don't like Jacob. He's mean to me.
Hannah, that's not nice to say.
Jacob is not nice!
(Praying the whole time they can't hear us!)

So then a car pulls up next to us and I hear a little boy in the car going on and on about Hannah, and the mom saying, "Oh, Hannah Montana?" And I know that it's another one of her classmates....well, lo and behold, out hops the dreaded Pierce.

As a little bit of back ground, before Christmas break, Hannah came home three times in a row with no hair bows in. And every time, "Pierce did it." He's a very cute little boy, but apparently the class bully (and is anyone surprised that his best bud is Jacob?)

Pierce gets a big smile on his face and says, "Hi Hannah!" Hannah immediately hugs my leg (I'm trying to unbuckle Isaac from the middle seat) and says, "I'm scared!" Oh dear, more embarrassment! I chuckle nervously and say, "No you're not." "Yes I am!" The mom laughs and says, "Pierce, have you been mean to Hannah?" And I'm thinking, "Yeah, he's mean to all the kids in the class!" So she has him give Hannah a piece of candy! I tell you, parents are strange!

So....when does a child realize that what you say in the privacy of your own home, isn't necessarily a good thing to talk about at the top of your lungs in the parking lot!

No comments: