Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Yeah for Scarlet Fever!

On Wednesday we dropped my mom off at the airport. We had a wonderful visit with her and we accomplished so much while she was here.

Hannah was particularly sad to see her Grandma and "Sleep-over Buddy" leave. On the way home from the airport she was quite pouty and said that Grandma hadn't stayed for very long (~only 29 days :) ). So I wasn't surprised that my little Drama Queen didn't want to eat her lunch. I put Isaac down for a nap and she watched some PBS while I cleaned up around the house and paid bills. Around 2pm she came and said her tummy hurt (well, you didn't eat any lunch!) She looked a little pale and only ate 3 bites of apple sauce. When she suggested a nap, I thought, "Wow! She is really milking this for all it's worth...or she's sick. :)" She slept for two hours and then moped around the house until supper time. At supper time she picked at her food, looked at me, looked at Daddy....and then shared her breakfast with us....and again.....and again. :( Poor thing. After her bath she was supposed to be going potty before climbing into her jammies, and she came back wiping her legs with a towel...she informed me that she had "spilled" again but that she was drying off with a towel. If only she had also cleaned up the ring on the floor around the toilet!

The next day I had to work. I warned our sitter that she hadn't been feeling well. She said she would call if Hannah got sick again. But when I got home, things had gone well all day and she had eaten and played well. But at bath time I discovered that she had a rash all over her torso.

So this morning, off we headed to the doctor. He took one look at her rash, heard what she had been doing, and said, "Let's do a strep test. I think she's got Scarlett Fever." Ten minutes later he confirmed it. So we're on antibiotics for 10 days, isolation for 48 hours, and a wait and see game for Isaac.

Hmmm....does the left side of my throat feel a little sore? :)

1 comment:

Flip-flop Mama said...

Trey got roseola recently (baby measles). He got a high fever and then a few days later a rash, which I thought was heat rash, but was most likely roseola. Weird sicknesses, huh? I'll say a prayer for you guys.