Friday, April 4, 2008

Do you ever feel.....

Do you ever feel like you're the only sane mom out there? Like your kids are the only ones growing up in a protective, conservative bubble?

Case in point....we're at the McD's play area today. And while Hannah is eating, I'm scoping out the potential playmates. Okay, two little girls. I hear them tell each other they're 4 and 5. They seem to be playing nicely together. And since they're the only ones there at the moment, well, they're in. :)

So Hannah goes to play, and they tell her they're playing "princesses" and she can be the witch! Are you kidding me!? Hannah gets upset and tells them she's not a witch, she's a little girl. The older girl laughs at her and runs away, pulling the 4 year old. Okay.

So, the older girl runs off to take a little break. And starts sipping on her iced coffee! Seriously? You're FIVE!!! The other girl sees it, and goes and starts drinking hers! My eyes are bugging out of my head at this point.

Then the older girl starts discussing what movies she's been to lately, I don't even recognize the names of the movies! (How sad is that!) Until she says, "I saw Enchanted last weekend and we're going to see Water Horse tonight." Really? I don't think that Hannah has even seen a movie that wasn't cartoon (except for her Miss PattyCake Sing Along and Resurrection Eggs). And we're pretty careful about which cartoons she sees (go back and watch Sleeping Beauty...it's scary!)

So sometimes I just feel like Hannah is going to be the "weirdo" when she starts school. She doesn't wear sweats with "juicy" across the butt, she wears long dresses to church, she has a one piece swimsuit, she's never had her nails painted or worn makeup....I just want my kids to be kids. They're barely not toddlers any more...what's the rush for them to be teenagers!?

Of course, I'm the mom who had to climb to the top and corner her 16 month old when it was time to come home too. :)

3 comments:

Flip-flop Mama said...

Hey Jen! Welcome to blogland!!! I think it's cute that you're a cyclone mama living in TX :) It would be fun for the kids to play, and warm TX sounds nice, but I can't leave my family :) Maybe sometime when you're back in Cyclone country we can play! Thanks for the comment. . I love comments!

Bethany said...

Hi there, I am friends with Emily and moving back to Texas this summer. You are definitely NOT the only mom out there who wants your kids (especially little girl) to just be kids. Good for you. Maybe once I get to Texas between the two of us we can convince Emily to come visit. :0)

Flip-flop Mama said...

Hey Girls, I told Ryan we could move to TX because the weather is nicer. His response, "The bugs are bigger too!"